Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Marly Youmans: If you would like...

Given the ways of the world wide web, you can get to know quite a bit about people before you meet them. I hope you'll visit here and let us know you; here are a few quick, easy ways to get to know something about me and my books.

If you would like to see my home page, go to http://www.marlyyoumans.com/. It connects to the pages listed below, as well as to a Commonplace Book and events schedule.

If you would like to see a selected bibliography with books and award listings and uncollected work, go to http://www.marlyyoumans.com/BiblioandBio.htm. This one also has some links to online writing as well. And there's a smattering of biography to tell you how a Carolinian ended up living in a Yankee snow drift.

The following are my books--two mountain fantasies for young adults, a collection of poetry, and three novels--listed from the current to the first.

1. Ingledove (Farrar, Straus & Giroux Books for Young Readers, 2005). This fantasy inspired by my childhood in Cullowhee is brand new, with a pub date of May 7. Since most fantasy by Americans is actually set in England or Europe, my two are a bit unusual.

If you would like to see me with a Seagrove, North Carolina chicken (and that's the edge of a watercolor by Louis D. Rubin, Jr., mentor of Southern authors), read an interview (click on the link), read reviews, and see some wonderful pictures by Renato Alarcao, go to http://www.marlyyoumans.com/Ingledove.htm. Actually, there are pictures from Renato on a number of pages in the site.

2. The Curse of the Raven Mocker (Farrar, Straus & Giroux BYR, 2003). This is the companion fantasy to Ingledove. Like the new book, it mingles the folk ways and lore of the early settlers to the mountains with Cherokee legend: in this case, the stories of the malevolent and secretive Raven Mockers. Ingledove has a fabulous water serpent and a lamia, brought over by ship.

If you would like to see a jacket by Steve Ciezlawski (with links to his magical paintings), reviews, and an interview, go to http://www.marlyyoumans.com/RAVEN_MOCKER.htm.

3. Claire (Louisiana State University Press, 2003). Claire is my first collection of poetry. You can jump to samples of some poems on the bibliography page, or go to http://www.marlyyoumans.com/CLAIRE.htm for jacket, quotes, and a link to some of the contents.

4. The Wolf Pit (Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2001) The Wolf Pit makes a sort of helix, twisting the story of a slave girl around the story of a young Confederate soldier. It won The Michael Shaara Award for 2001--a national award for Best Civil War book. Hop to http://www.marlyyoumans.com/The_Wolf_Pit.htm for more.

5. Catherwood (Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1996) Catherwood is my one out-of-print book (the entire Bard paperback line was a victim of mega-mergers), though it's the one writers seem to talk about the most... Set in the late seventeenth century, the novel follows a young woman and her daughter lost in the wilderness. I wrote it on the landing of a stairs in Cooperstown, before I moved back to Chapel Hill. Little did I realize that I would eventually pingpong back to Cooperstown. Catherwood is still available as a used book. For more, go to http://www.marlyyoumans.com/Catherwood.htm.

6. Little Jordan (David R. Godine, Publisher, 1995) Here I began book publication, with a novella from Godine: http://www.marlyyoumans.com/Little_Jordan.htm. This one was first marketed as an adult book but has had a second life in the young adult market.

If you want to talk to me outside of this blog, you can visit at http://thepalaceat2.blogspot.com/ and leave messages there. It's a hodgepodge, with a little of everything, including an entry about Carrie Gate's self-publishing venture, Granny Tales. And be sure and sign up for the free-book chicken contest! (See the May 20 entry).

5 Comments:

Anonymous Donna said...

Marly,

I picked up "The Wolf Pit" from the library today and I am loving it. I read the first two chapters before I knew it. My stepson had to break in and say, "Is the soup ready yet?" before I would stop and set up for dinner.

One of my favorite periods in history is the Civil War. I wish I would have known about your book last year when I was teaching 8th grade AIG language arts. I intend to recommend it for the AIG 8th grade in the county this year. We are re-working our curriculum.

9:25 PM  
Anonymous marly said...

Well, at least you caught his teenaged attention!

Thanks, Donna--I think the reflections of the plantation house in the little bloody pools seeped in from the start of "The Fall of the House of Usher." Louis Rubin always said that was about the fall of the South.

And Vanessa says she's reading my first book. You two (and probably others) are booming along and leaving me in the dust. I'm still working away on Dufresne and trying to work on a novella and finish up the final schedule (at NCCAT, it goes through an army of folk who tweak and tinker and critique) and plan the details. That's in between the kid ferrying and laundry and such...

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Vanessa Thomas said...

Hi Marly!

I finished "Little Jordan" last night. (of course, I still have finished Dufresne and NCCAT is creeping closer...AAAUUUGGGHHH!!!)Very interesting. It's really very lyrical I think. I loved the descriptions especiall of the search part at the beginning of the book. I want my 15 year old to read it because I think it would be great for a high school honors discussion. (He's wading through Count of Monte Cristo --unabridged...Little Jordan has to wait.) I also loved the contrast of Meg's time in the mountains and that description versus a visit to her grandparents on the coast and that description. You probably posted this already, but how did you come up with the Little Jordan concept?

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Vanessa Thomas said...

Correction...I still have NOT finished Dufresne!

9:12 PM  
Anonymous marly said...

Lyrical, yes. Big on plot, no! That's definitely my bridge-from-poetry book. And yes, I think you've caught hold of the kind of structure there is to the novella when you say mountains versus coast; it's more like the structure in a long poem than a plot with causality, although there is change and growth.

The source? I once lived by Tinker Creek (the stream that Annie Dillard wrote about) in a tiny house with lots of black walnuts. That place was rich and magical, but a number of bad things happened close by--one in the field by the house.

When I began the story, I was pregnant with my first child, so I was certainly thinking about children. The first two chapters flew out in an effortless manner--always very satisfying. Then I had to finish; I wrote most of the remainder with my new baby on my lap. (He's a giant now!)

I've gotten notes from both adults and teenagers about it; though originally published as "adult," the book was later marketed as "young adult" after a number of reviews recommending "cross-marketing" came in. That one and "Catherwood" keep surfacing on school lists.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home